Re: Altronix

On Feb 18, 12:10=EF=BF=BDpm, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Frank Olson" <use-the-email-li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in messa=
ge

> > Silicon Sam wrote:

> >> =EF=BF=BD If you MUST mount the power supply in the attic, at least pu=
nch hole
> >> in the side and mount a small 12V fan on the top or side of the box.
> >> Use a good fan guard to keep out unwanted critters too.
>
> > His battery will still be "toast" within a year though.
>
> I have one old FBII panel in an attic (takeover) and it needs a new batte=
ry
> about every 2-3 years.-

I've got a couple of jobs that I've taken over with equipment in the
attic ( not alarm panels) and they've been there for at least 15/20
years and still working. Nearnet radio, Wireless receiver. Wireless
transmitters in unheated (below zero) garages. Although on other jobs
I've had to move equipment after it failed.

When components that are going to be used for general use are mfg and
tested they don't actually know what extremes they actually may be
able to work in. And equpment mfgs only state that the equipment will
work up to or down to a certain temp. But they don't actually know how
far beyond that it will work. I think it may be just the right
combination of components in a given item that coincidently can
function in a hostile enviornment, that allows for this happening once
in a while.