Re: ADT DEALER - A shining example for work safety.

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 10:33:14 -0500, JoeRaisin
<joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Does anyone know if having both grounds present is a problem?  I can't
>remember what the rules (or more important - the why's) about proximity
>regarding two ground stakes in in an electrical system.

I'm no electrician, but I would say it's definetely a problem.  The
ground reference is not going to be equal on both sides.  Despite what
common sense dictates that "ground is ground", is not entirely true.

>He swears by the separate ground stake for the trailer so that's not
>going away, but I think I should try and talk him into reconnecting the
>rig ground as well.

I would think about putting a subpanel right at the trailer, bonded to
the trailer and a hefty rod depending on the soil conditions.  If it
is ice, it's not a ground.  How thick is the ice?

And like you said, bond the two grounds from the source and the
trailer so they are equal.

This is just an opinion of what I think is a safer way.  Don't take my
word as gospel by any means!  I highly suggest you post the question
in: news://alt.engineering.electrical They have a really qualified
group of guys there to better answer the question.