Re: Panel grounding

On Dec 15, 8:18=EF=BF=BDam, tourman <robercampb...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> RHC: The degree of attrition due to the economy has more to do with
> people simply taking a look at their ongoing expenses and deciding
> their alarm monitoring is not worth what they are paying, either
> because of too high a price relative to what the local market is
> offering for the same thing, or because they think back to the last
> time they requested service, and were not happy for whatever reason.
> They may also not be using their alarm regulariy and this forces them
> to decide it's an unnecessary expense. Being further restricted by a
> long term commitment serves only to make them shop around a bit more
> in anticipation of being able to leave after the contract is up, which
> in turn doesn't allow the original company much "wiggle room" to
> negotiate when the term is up. It's all about service; keep them happy
> and they are far less likely to leave you when they can.

And, of course, one can always have the best of both worlds by
providing exemplary service AND have long term contracts.

> But even that situation is not all "black and white".....we'll all
> lose some...that's life !

I've lost a few in the last year. If they can't or don't want to
afford it any longer, that's ok with me. I wouldn't hold anyone to a
contract for that kind of reason. Most of the time I'll get a call
saying they want to stop the monitoring for one reason or another or
because they're not using it and I always tell them to consider the
fact that they will no longer have a panic or fire alarm notification
to authorities either. I also ask them to check with their homeowers
insurance first to see how much their payments are going to increase
when they get notified of cancelation of their alarm monitoring. Most
of the time it's just about an even wash, so they keep the monitoring
service.

I've got a few right now that I'm monitoring free of charge for
various hardship issues. One's teenage daugher has cancer, spending
thousands on treatments. Another, the husband has cancer and has been
out of work for months. Elderly couple, wife dying of Lou Gherigs.
Couple of elderly people who just can't afford it anymore.

Whadda ya gonna do?  Cut them off?