Re: source for 24AWG / 4 conductor white

On Dec 12, 1:51=A0am, G. Morgan <usenet_ab...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:39:26 -0800, "Christopher Glaeser"
>
> <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I'm sure you are right, but I wanted to understand why alarm installers
> >would go to such lengths to avoid Cat3/5.
>
> Mainly because it's easy to break at the terminals (and sometimes a
> PIA getting a smaller conductor under some terminals). And the extra
> thickness of 22 guage gives the reassurance that all the required
> voltage will be available to the device based on the length of the
> wire run. =A0Most installers already know the length limit on 22 guage,
> and they don't bother looking up voltage drops on any other size
> unless it's a really long run.

I think cat3 and 5 are fine for application where they have a RJ end
crimped on, but I don't like using it when it would just get stripped
and put under a terminal or crimped. Those conductors are so fragile
the smallest nick in the conductor can cause it to snap off easily