Re: ADT DEALER - A shining example for work safety.

Spellcheck Patrol wrote:
> On Dec 16, 12:08 am, "John Smith" <aliasJowB...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> http://yfrog.com/1aadtsafteyexamplej
>>
>> Yep.  Both sides same thing.  Aluminum ladders.   <
>
> That's an authorized dealer logo on the vehicle

Think I could get one of those?

Seriously though, since we are talking about aluminum ladders, and more
to the point - the reason for not using them, ie: electricity; I have a
a question about something that came up on an oil field consulting job I
was just on (trust me, if you were as ADD as I am this logic would make
perfect sense).

I'm no electrician (and I can't afford to stay at a Holiday Inn Express)
and don't generally like to play around with big-boy voltages but if I'm
not mistaken, ground is ground the world around...

Many many years ago is used to work as a mud logger
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudlogger) and am re-training so I can
pick up some cash here and there.  It's good money but the jobs are
infrequent at best.

Anyway - I'm working out of the company man's trailer and, yesterday,
after he takes off his thick rubber boots and steps out he finds that
the trailer skin is electrically hot.

Long story short we finally found that the coffee pot had a short
somewhere that was feeding 110 back into the ground circuit.  Trust me,
the loss of the coffee pot was a bigger blow than finding the 110 on the
door handle.

Oil rig electrical systems are notorious - partly due to rickety
generators (that put out 90 VAC one minute and 200 VAC the next) and
partly due to roughnecks.

Roughnecks, God bless 'em, are some of the toughest, hardest working
folks I've ever met and absolute geniouses at making just about anything
"work" via bubble gum and band-aids but, as creative as they are, if
pressed to do thing the "proper way" they would be clueless.
Surprisingly enough - these fixes almost never raise the eyebrows of
OSHA inspectors despite how scary it looks.

As a result, some of the folks who bring work trailers to the locations
will put out their own ground stakes as an added precaution.  The
company man has taken (what he considers to be) the added measure of
removing the ground from the incoming power cord so he has only one
ground on his systems.

His trailer is about 100ft from the rig on frozen, sandy ground and I
suspect the poor ground reference back to the main panel is why we
didn't trip the breaker in the generator house when the short occurred.

Does anyone know if having both grounds present is a problem?  I can't
remember what the rules (or more important - the why's) about proximity
regarding two ground stakes in in an electrical system.

He swears by the separate ground stake for the trailer so that's not
going away, but I think I should try and talk him into reconnecting the
rig ground as well.

He's a reasonable guy and if it's the right thing to do he'll go along.
  I just want to be sure it's the right thing.

Also - the trailer's real sensitive equipment (gas monitors and such)
are protected by redundant UPS's and a rheostat.

Any help?  I got to go back out tonight or tomorrow...