Metal Plate

Just a metal plate.  That's all that was found on the top of the doors.
Held down with little nails.  It worked for a long time.  The plastic
contact recessed in the jamb cleared when the doors were close.  What heck
was it and how did it work?

It finally failed.  That's how I discovered this little oddity.  I think I
recall somebody on here mentioning something like it in the past.