Re: Life Sucks, Then You Move On

There is  BIG need in the automotive repair business for people who
understand electrical wiring and computers.

The secret to automotive electric repair is getting the factory service
manuals which have the wiring diagrams, then you are all set. (Not the thin
3rd party books at auto parts stores, were talking a set of 4 books
containing 2000 pages total of troubleshooting information and wiring
diagrams from the manufacturer of the vehicle for 1 specific year/model
vehicle.)

Autos have intermittent electrical problems just like alarms! And they have
no idea how to troubleshoot these problems.

I don't do automotive work except for myself, but have had a few people
almost beg me to fix their autos because no one else could fix the
electrical problem. So I have fixed a few for other people. (But only if I
had the factory wiring diagrams, and I charged $60 an hour.)

Also there is the auto stereo business. Well lets say the auto modification
business in general. These folks are getting into trouble lately because
they don't understand the computers in the vehicles. There can be from 24 to
80 computers in a new vehicle! And 3 different computer local area networks!

The factory stereo may include audio for "chimes" and also include audio for
"Onstar" and the like. So you install a new stereo and those things no
longer work! And they don't know why because they don't understand how the
factory systems work!

And new vehicles might have traction control or an auto leveling control
which has input for the 4 wheels as to speed. Then they go and install
different size tires and the computers handling these things freak out. The
people installing these things have no idea what is wrong - again because
they don't understand the factory computer control systems.

And just engine operation, tune-up, and troubleshooting. These are now all
computer sensors which need to give proper input to the engine computer. So
you need to use a multimeter to measure the resistance or voltage on these
sensors to see if they are giving the correct inputs. Well many auto
mechanics don't know how to use a multimeter. They just keep swapping out
parts until the problem goes away. If that does not fix it, they don't know
what to do...

Anyway I've seen factory automotive training videos where they tell the
mechanics to be on the lookout for new people wanting to get into the field.
And a factory dealer can hire someone, then send them to factory training.

I've not been interested in this area in the past, but it is getting to be
quite interesting lately. Drive by wire is on the way - totally electronic
steering, brakes, etc. A paradise for geeks - a nightmare for auto
mechanics!

Following are GM factory training locations. Might talk to a few people
there and say you know electronic troubleshooting and are looking for a
career change. I'd bet they would welcome you with open arms! Might even
handcuff you so you wouldn't get away! (And of course there are the training
centers for all other manufacturers of vehicles, trucks, etc.)
https://www.gmstc.com/TrainingLocations.aspx