Re: Life Sucks, Then You Move On

JoeRaisin wrote:
> Lost my job yesterday.  My regional ops mgr and supervisor are lobbying
> to get that decision reversed but I'm not holding my breath.
>
> I'm receiving a military pension which helps in one regard but that
> almost entirely offsets unemployment...
>
> Filed a DBA (Doing Business As) today for low voltage wiring and I'm
> picking up liability insurance Monday.  I have a few questions.
>
> I am NICET Level II Certified and hold a Michigan Fire Alarm Specialty
> Technician License.
>
> 1. What's covered under a non-compete clause?

They've let you go.  You haven't left them.  The "non-compete" clause is
a "non-issue".  You have to be able to feed your family.  Period.  Over
the years I've built relationships with customers.  I know several of
our employees have as well.  The idea behind a "non-compete" clause is
to prevent an employee from waltzing out, opening their own store (or
going to work for a competitor) and taking a bag of business with them.
  Unfortunately the clause only comes into effect (at least here) if
that employee quits.  You then have to prove that they solicited
business from your customers directly.  If the customer had a personal
relationship (or one founded through personal contact), then it's their
choice as to whether or not they stay with you or follow the employee.

> I won't be installing
> alarms but am planning on trying to subcontract low voltage wiring for
> sprinkler companies.  Mainly (I hope) it will be phones, TV, network
> cabling - things like that (I don't know enough right now about sound
> system cabling but I'm a quick study if it comes to it).

Sound system wiring is a piece of cake.

> With my license I can do NFPA Fire Alarm Inspections and am told (by
> someone who may or may not know what they are talking about) that as
> long as I don't solicit current customers of my former employer it isn't
> a problem.

Correct.  Calling them to say you've moved on is the same thing (would
be considered "soliciting".  Same with sending them a Christmas Card.
There are other ways of getting inspection business.  Get a list of
local property managers and put together a brochure which details your
services.

> 2. I know it varies from region to region but how would you guys go
> about estimating a wiring job?  By the foot?  By the estimated hours? By
> the number of drops?  All of the above?  Money up front or bill later or
> a combination?

It all comes down to:  1. cover your hours, 2. cover the cost of wire
and materials, 3.  have some left over for the "kitty".

> As for contacting builders - I was thinking about doing a sort of
> 'resume' thing that details my background, training and what services I
> offer and visiting builders in person.  Any suggestions?

Dead end.  Builders are loyal to one thing...  How much money they can
make.  The better way would be to subcontract to the electrical
contractors (already on site).  Tell them what you can do, and show them
where they can benefit by employing your services, marking them up and
selling the whole "package" to the builder.  You've effectively cut out
your competition.

> 3. Business cards - I googled free business cards and came up with tons
> of sites - have any of you used such a thing and do you have any
> recommendations?  Simple/fancy - what info should be on them?

These days it's just as easy using business card blanks and making them
up yourself using a Word or Wordperfect template.  Go for the fancy ones
when you have established yourself.

> 4. Supplies - I know I can get wire at Home Depot or the local
> Electrical Supply house - what other options might there be?  I've
> worked with enough cheap wire before to know I want to use a decent
> product so are there any brands I should avoid?

Yup.  Avoid anything "cheap".  Google for cable wholesalers.  A lot of
alarm wholesalers carry wire stock as well.

> I know these may be basic and perhaps dumb questions but I've never had
> to deal with such things before and I have to admit I'm still a little
> befuddled and off balance - pretty sick to my stomach as well.

Understandable.  What kind of severance package did they give you?

> Is there anything else I should be considering?  I am totally a fish out
> of water here but, being in Michigan, there's a lot of folks lining up
> for 7 buck an hour night stock jobs so, while I do plan on looking for
> something, and who knows - this might work out.  Regardless, I've got to
> do something or we don't eat.

Whatever you do, do SOMETHING.  Don't just sit and home and brood.
Being unemployed is depressing enough.  Make up a home budget.  Know
where all your expenses are.  Then integrate that with the business
budget.  Make a business plan and stick with it.  Pay yourself after
you've paid everything else.  Your business will go nowhere if you don't
cover the direct expenses.  Talk to your bank.  Find out about getting a
line of credit and watch your pennies.

When you take a job as a sub-contractor, make sure you stipulate to a
payment schedule.  Make it net 15 days, and watch it like a hawk.  Offer
a discount on your invoices for "cash up front" (like 2% off if paid
within 10 days).

Email me or call the hotline.  :-).

Good luck, Joe!!!