Re: Life Sucks, Then You Move On

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:47:44 -0500, JoeRaisin <joeraisin2001@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Lost my job yesterday.  My regional ops mgr and supervisor are lobbying
>to get that decision reversed but I'm not holding my breath.

December DOES suck, Joe.  Sorry to hear that.

>I'm receiving a military pension which helps in one regard but that
>almost entirely offsets unemployment...
>
>Filed a DBA (Doing Business As) today for low voltage wiring and I'm
>picking up liability insurance Monday.  I have a few questions.
>
>I am NICET Level II Certified and hold a Michigan Fire Alarm Specialty
>Technician License.
>
>1. What's covered under a non-compete clause?  I won't be installing
>alarms but am planning on trying to subcontract low voltage wiring for
>sprinkler companies.  Mainly (I hope) it will be phones, TV, network
>cabling - things like that (I don't know enough right now about sound
>system cabling but I'm a quick study if it comes to it).
>
>With my license I can do NFPA Fire Alarm Inspections and am told (by
>someone who may or may not know what they are talking about) that as
>long as I don't solicit current customers of my former employer it isn't
>a problem.

Don't worry about the NCA you signed with your former employer.  They are
simply not enforceable.  (Not in Texas anyway).

>2. I know it varies from region to region but how would you guys go
>about estimating a wiring job?  By the foot?  By the estimated hours?
>By the number of drops?  All of the above?  Money up front or bill later
>or a combination?

I do it by estimated hours ($75/hr), then add parts (30% markup).

>As for contacting builders - I was thinking about doing a sort of
>'resume' thing that details my background, training and what services I
>offer and visiting builders in person.  Any suggestions?

Builders?  Are you serious?  The economy is not ripe for going after builders.
Go for a niche market, something only you can do well.  (anyone can pull
wire).

>3. Business cards - I googled free business cards and came up with tons
>of sites - have any of you used such a thing and do you have any
>recommendations?  Simple/fancy - what info should be on them?

Not free... But http://www.printsmadeeasy.com/ has great prices, deliver
quickly, and can set you up with cards, stationary, envelopes, and just about
everything else print-wise.

>4. Supplies - I know I can get wire at Home Depot or the local
>Electrical Supply house - what other options might there be?  I've
>worked with enough cheap wire before to know I want to use a decent
>product so are there any brands I should avoid?

Get wire at the security supply shop, wholesale.  You did get a resell permit
right after you got the DBA, right?

>I know these may be basic and perhaps dumb questions but I've never had
>to deal with such things before and I have to admit I'm still a little
>befuddled and off balance - pretty sick to my stomach as well.

Shit, when it rains it pours.

>Is there anything else I should be considering?  I am totally a fish out
>of water here but, being in Michigan, there's a lot of folks lining up
>for 7 buck an hour night stock jobs so, while I do plan on looking for
>something, and who knows - this might work out.  Regardless, I've got to
>do something or we don't eat.

Why don't you start out by helping your neighbors?  Offer to setup their home
network.  Sell them a few cameras (they love it when you tell them they can
watch the cams while they are at work).  Get whatever licensing you need to
sell them burg, fire, and video.  Consider home theater too, there are going
to be lots of new big-screens come DEC 26 that will need mounting and hooked
up to the audio gear.