Re: An ethical conundrum... Opinions welcome!

On Dec 4, 6:47=A0pm, Frank Olson
<use_the_email_li...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JoeRaisin wrote:
> > Frank Olson wrote:

> >> I have no idea. =A0I was talking to the manager of one of the better
> >> alarmco's in Vancouver and he told me that they lost a client to
> >> Alarmfarce. =A0The guy had a full perimeter system installed. =A0
> >> Glass-break detectors, etc. =A0Sold the house and the new owner moved
> >> his Alarmfarce system in. =A0One door, one PIR (made "pet proof" by
> >> mounting it upside down three feet from the floor). =A0The alarmco's
> >> service dept was contacted to power down their equipment (including
> >> the monitored smoke and carbon monoxide detectors). =A0This company
> >> charged $35.00 per month for monitoring ($25.00 per month for basic
> >> service, $5.00 for fire, and $5.00 for CO). =A0Alarmfarce charges $25.=
00
> >> for their voice service. =A0I suppose the customer perceived "value" i=
> >> one over the other. =A0There's a lot of "hype" in the sales pitch used
> >> by Alarmfarce. =A0I hope Joel Matlin sleeps well at night secure in th=
> >> knowledge that the fire and CO detectors in this house have been
> >> neutralized because this customer chose "the best alarm system in
> >> North America".
>
> >> PS. =A0Like any good reputable alarm dealer the customer was offered a
> >> degraded system (local only) rather than disconnect the thing
> >> entirely. =A0He didn't want to pay for the service call so now, he has
> >> practically "nothing".
>
> > Good Freakin' God - I hope there are other smoke detectors in the house=
.

> > What is the liability - even if asked to do so - in killing smoke
> > detectors in a house? =A0Should the AHJ that granted occupancy way back
> > when be contacted?
>
> I have no idea (if there are 110VAC smokes on the premises). =A0The AHJ
> isn't involved when system smoke alarms are added to a residential
> security system. =A0There isn't even a requirement to have them properly
> supervised.
>
> I know where you're coming from. =A0Unfortunately there are still people
> that don't properly research their options, and some people that are so
> "stuck" on one particular product (or the hype surrounding it), that it
> clearly affects their purchase decisions. =A0God help all stupid people
> (stuck with Alarmfarce systems).

RHC: Gawd, the utter stupidity of that homeowner is almost
unbelievable. I know that people get well sold on the Alarmforce
"hype" but that is going TOTALLY backwards !!!!!!!
I guess Rube Goldstein had it right....there's a sucker born every
minute.

Who said that a fool and his money are soon parted....WAIT ! I
know...it was Joel Matlin....:))