Re: PC Based DVR

I have found units with Windows XP Embedded work well as PC based units go.
I think once a certain number of cameras are reached it is easier to use a
total Windows based PC solution. Genetec and Verint use a Windows approach
where Intransa and AD Video Edge use a Linux Kernel. It is easier to use PC
units with certain types of systems where integration with access control
and such is necessary.

DM makes a cheap DVR line too. The EcoSense units start at less than a grand
for a dealer. The thing I like about certain PC based units over units like
DM is that WHEN the hard drive fails ( AND IT ALWAYS DOES) you can install a
new hard drive and recover the units with having to send it in for repair.