Re: OT Atlas Shrugged.

"too fat for a ladder" <alarminstall@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:15b1641b-7cc2-45b2-8884-db12240f3561@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> If America wasn't policeman to the world the Europenises would be
> living under a swaztika, and the Aussies would be eating sushi.
> The rest of the free world should be kissing our asses for shedding
> all that blood protecting them.

America wasn't a policeman to the world in WWII, it was pretty much
isolationist at that time. It declared war on Japan only after Japan
attacked Pearl Harbour.

Germany & Italy declared war on the US shortly after the US declared war on
Japan, its seems to be a commonly held belief in the US that America
declared war on Germany, when in fact it was the other way round.

Its certainly true that the US was providing arms & supplies to the allies
along with US warships protecting convoys carrying its merchandise to
England before the US entered the war and its undeniable that the war would
have had a different outcome if not for the sacrifices made by the
servicemen & women of the US, but its not necessarily true to suggest that
the US entered WWII to save Europe from itself or to allow the Aussies the
chance to throw another shrimp on the barbie.

A case can be made that US was only looking after its own interests. Which
is of course pretty much the only reason with very few exceptions that any
country goes to war.

Doug