Re: Why Your Yugo Doesn't Perform Like a Cadillac

Bob La Londe wrote:

> Most simply can not afford even a decent video system.  "Box Club" is
> the only real solution for them, but I still will not sell or install
> those because they will eventually not be happy, and they will remember
> the features I mentioned were capable with better systems and claim I
> lied to them or ripped them off.

It's doesn't take DIY "Box Club" systems for that!  One (ex) customer
was a car dealership and we were installing in a super-duper new
facility, so there was no shortage of money being thrown around.  They
wanted a range of options, from cheaper to better.  "Better" included
megapixel IP cameras in various perimeter locations to give clear views
of the surrounding lot.  "Cheaper" put basic analog domes there, with
wide views to encompass one full side of the building in one shot.

Both options were detailed in the bids... they went with "cheaper".

Fast-forward almost a year as we're STILL trying to get them square up
the bill... they call ME asking about getting clearer shots from their
outside cameras, as there had been vandalism to several cars and all
they had was distant, blocky footage, and they wanted to identify the
perps.  The guy went on about claims that had been made and how the
system wasn't performing as promised... I told him I had no idea about
that and he should check with my boss.

As it turned out, he was going on about the specs claimed for the
"better" system.  The boss pulled up copies of the original bids and
pointed out to him that he'd opted for "cheaper"... and BTW, we're still
waiting for payment.  He settled up soon after that, and just went away
quietly...