New Veritas R8 Install

Hi,
I am installing a new veritas R8 with little success.  Following the
manual to load the factory settings doesn't work.  I've spoken to the
help desk.  The bloke says that the manual is wrong and that you
connect mains first and then battery.  Tried that with no difference.
The manual says to press the reset key within 10 secs of power up.
This doesn't work.  The bloke says that you have to press the reset
button twice and says that's what's stated in the manual.  Again this
doesn't work.

If I just power up the reset fails, 9-beeps continue followed by
longer beeps and the alarm then seems to set itself.

I'd be grateful for advice,

Thanks,

Alan