Re: Anyone using perimiter fence protection

"Jim" wrote:

> I say that because .... a number of years ago, we were down in Florida
> visiting relatives and my wife and I wanted to go to (I think) Silver
> Springs. We pull into the parking lot and see the signs "handicap parking
> area ahead"  ..... So we start to drive around the parking lot looking for a
> regular parking spot and before you know it we're about a 15/20 minute walk
> away from the entrance. Walking up to the entrance I see that there's what
> looked like about a hundred or two handicap parking places ..........  and
> most of them occupied ............. and THAT's when I decided Florida wasn't
> for me. (At least not before I become handicapped, anyway.)
>
> As I said .... too many old people down there.

I here you, but there's another side to the parking story.  A while back I was
very ill due to the chemotherapy.  It was painful and very difficult for me to
walk even a few yards.  I asked my doctor if I could get a handicap tag to
hang on my mirror.  He said they are very hard to get from the state so I
figured the hell with it -- I only went out occasionally for a few months
anyway.  Every so often I'd venture to the grocery store and find myself
walking past the handicap spaces only to watch some healthy, young schmuck
park in one of them (mo tag and no special license tag), hop out and sprint to
the store.  If I saw a cop in the lot I'd have asked him to ticket the jerk
but it never worked out that way.

During the last year or so of my dad's life he really needed one of those
stickers, too.  He had a lot of trouble walking but never did get the special
plate.  Once in a while we'd have trouble finding a place near the entrance at
a rest area and he'd have to struggle to get into the building just to relieve
himself.  I really wished we would have had one of those tags just for him.
Well, he's gone now and I'm getting better so we've no need but my mom is 88
years old.  When she starts to need help walking, hopefully not too soon, I'll
do whatever it takes to get her the handicap plate.  Right now she's still
pretty spry though.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass