Re: ADI IN TOMS RIVER SELLING ON EBAY AGAIN

tourman wrote:

> RHC: Correction Frank, I didn't say RLB's newsgroup persona was
> "twisted". What I said was sometimes he goes "over the top" with his
> comments. The same thing can be said for just about all the regulars
> here at one time or another.

I'll have to dig up that post...  I'm sure "over the top" weren't the
words you used.  After seen Bass USENET persona, I can honestly state
that I have no desire to ever meet up with him.

> This newsgroup has become so twisted with hateful commentary,
> bickering, and personal recriminations between members that it has
> become almost useless for anyone looking for real information to
> bother with. Legitimate questions from end users relating to alarm
> systems seem almost universally to be met eventually with snide
> comments about why the party didn't refer his question to a
> "professional" instead of tackling it himself. Does a DIY industry
> that amounts to probably point one percent of the total business (if
> that much), scare you guys that much ? I can only hope that this
> newsgroup doesn't reflect the state of our industry as a whole; if it
> does, we're all in trouble. I'm sure Steve Richman (sp)  didn't
> foresee this kind of response when he first set up the
> newsgroup.......

No he didn't.  Bass has hijacked this group from the first, recognizing
it to be a "vehicle" that could launch his online store.  He's used
lies, innuendo, and outright deception to further his own interests and
revels in the turmoil he creates.  That's why I've decided to adopt a
different tactic.  It's also the reason he no longer replies directly to
anything I post.  He can't (and won't) refute the naked truth.

He's also a danger to anyone that deals with him (and I shudder to think
he might be selling commercial fire alarm).  I'll give you a couple of
examples.

When Elk released their M1Gold he was one of the first online stores to
carry it.  He "said" he'd sold "hundreds" and even bragged he provided
technical support suggestions to Elk.  That panel was NOT UL Listed for
fire for almost an entire year (it was in the approval process).  How
many non-UL listed panels do you actually figure are "out there" wired
up with Bass provided smoke and heat detectors??  I'd say that was
totally irresponsible but hey...  who am I?  I'm the only one that's
actually come out and said so.

If you look at his DSC page, and scroll almost to the bottom, you'll
notice he's listing Napco's Firewolf *two* wire smoke detector as a
suggested peripheral device (along with contacts, motions, and a carbon
monoxide detector he's listed as a "audio" device for some totally
outrageous price).  DSC produces a compatibility reference sheet for
every panel they sell (as do all the manufacturers).  In the 832/864
(both are products that are NO LONGER AVAILABLE incidentally, but I'm
sure Bass will say he sells "hundreds") it's actually part of the
connection diagram.  Do you see "Firewolf" anywhere on that list?  No.
The ONLY detectors DSC lists are the DSC MN220, & PS220, System Sensor
1100, 1451, 2100, 2100T, 2151, 1151, 2400, and 1400.  Some of the newer
832/864's with a specific compatibility identifier will also accept
DSC's "Meridian" series two wire detectors, but you have to be careful
when selecting these units.  Let's go one further and have a look at
DSC's latest panel line, the 1832 and 1864.  Again, Napco's "Firewolf"
detectors are nowhere to be seen.  The only UL compatible detectors are
DSC's Meridian line (FSA series).  DSC has dispensed with listing any
other manufacturer's smoke detector products on their latest panel lines.

Now, do you honestly believe that anyone that's going to purchase these
products aren't going to get talked into buying Bass "recommended" smoke
detectors too (or will click on the "buy me" button thinking that it's
very convenient that he's got all this stuff on one page and you won't
have to scroll through 98,000 other products to find it)?  I'm sure he
makes good burgers, but he *DOES NOT KNOW HIS PRODUCTS* like someone who
installs and services them on a daily basis (or even reads the manuals).

Personally, I'd rather deal with someone that has "settled" on one or
two particular manufacturer's product lines.  As a dealer, I'd make sure
that I knew that product inside out and backwards.  Believe me it saves
a lot of time (and "face") to be able to talk someone through something
as simple as turning on the chime feature without having to look it up
in the user manual, or tell your installer that he can only wire up two
wire detectors on a specific PGM terminal and he can't program certain
options on the other ones.  I have yet to see the "24 volt version" of
the Vista 128FB, but hey...  anyone could get confused with the way it's
listed on the Honeywell site.  You have to actually KNOW the product to
be able to understand how it works (but I'm sure Bass has provided
"hours" of tech support to his DIY commercial fire clients on that one).

> BTW, I believe you have control of that page that shows the "ASA group
> of regulars" ?. I would appreciate it if you would remove my picture
> and my name from that site. Thanks !

Nope.  That's Jack's "bailiwick".

Note to Jim (Alarmin).  I'm not really trying to help Bass with his website.