Re: FYI ADT fans

tourman wrote:
> RHC: Excellent ! It's about time that someone  brought these
> phony"free alarm system" companies up to a minimum standard of
> disclosure on the real costs of buying their systems.I know it is the
> customer's responsibility to read and understand everything they sign,
> but unfortunately most don't. In this market, no one seems to do any
> sort of proper shopping research. That is the only reason that
> companies like ADT and Alarmforce continue to survive in the "low end
> residential market" - the inadequacies of the buying public (I'm
> tempted to say the "stupidity" of the buying public but I won't.....)
>
> If they are forced to lay out all the real costs properly, it will go
> a long way in leveling the playing field with other more reputable
> companies who do tell it like it really is, and then unfortunately
> suffer the loss of the sale because of the customers incorrect cost
> comparisons of the various systems quoted to him.

Their website (adt.ca) doesn't offer much in the way of information.
The "basic special internet package" price is $99.00 (no monitoring fees
are listed but they're probably $35.99/month if I've correctly
interpolated their fee structure).  Their "Family Package" is $599.99
(installation) and $45.99 (monthly monitoring).  There's no mention that
you won't "own" the equipment.  Then again there's no mention that
you're "leasing" or "renting" it either.  Perhaps someone with better
eyesight can peruse their website.  The "foin print" is so "foin" this
old geezer is having a hard time readin' it.