Re: question about burglar alarm dispute (San Francisco Bay Area)

On Mar 3, 9:59 am, "Bob La Londe" <nos...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Matt Ion" <soundy...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> Now that said... at a rough guess I'd say the alarm company may have
> changed their contact number and missed switching over a few panels,
> since others seem to have had the same problem.  I don't see what the
> age of the modem would have to do with anything; the only possible issue
> I could see is if the system is dialing a 7-digit number when the
> monitoring station has changed area codes, but from the sound of it, it
> IS dialing a different area code than you're in, and still, the number
> should be controlled by the panel, not the modem.
>
> Actually where I have run across this type of problem is when the customer=

> has added DSL service to their home or business phone line without botheri=
ng
> to notify the alarm company.  What usually happens is either the CS receiv=
er
> can't hear the signals over the DSL carrier OR more often the panel can't
> hear the kissof signal from the CS so it sends the signal again.
>
> Since all of my panels dial my toll free lines I just eat the toll cost wh=
en
> it happens, and charge the customer for a DSL filter specific to alarm
> panels.
>
> NOW!  Technically it is the customer's fault, or the DSL providers fault i=
> this case.  I recently did a DSL self install in my house, and the
> instruction clearly said that if you have an alarm panel notify your alarm=

> company.  I have also had clients call me and tell me their self install
> instructions for their new DSL modem said the same thing.  If these
> instruction are well enough known to be documented for self installers the=
re
> is absolutely no excuse for a proffessional DSL installer to make this
> mistake either.
>
> In this case we can't say who is at fault until we actually discover the
> problem for this run-a-way repeat signal attempt, but addition of DSL to t=
he
> line can cause almost exactly these symptoms.
>
> Of course we have over looked an underlying problem which could be makling=

> things worse.  AT&T.  If they have the customer on a carrier where they ar=
> compressing to many phone lines over the available bandwidth they could be=

> distorting the signal enroute.  Usually the kissof signal is the one that
> suffers.  Most of the time you can hear a little echo or tin can sound to
> the lines on a voice call when this is the case, but not always.  The fact=

> that the customer's panel is dialing the local ANI terminated line rather
> than the alarm companies toll free line says that whatever the customer's
> toll provider does is what the alarm panel has to deal with.  Another reas=
on
> to own your own lines, and pick your own carrier that caters to alarm
> companies, and have your own toll free lines.  Then rarely is the alarm
> [...]

Hi Bob, we have two phone lines, and added DSL on "the other" phone
line since 3 years ago. The phone line that was billed for over $300
does not have any DSL services nor did we added any other extra
services to this phone line recently...Thanks again for your help.. :)