Re: Energy cost to power an alarm system?

"Bill" wrote:

> What is the monthly cost (electricity) to power an alarm system?

Less than a single dollar.  The transformers which power alarm systems
typically provide around 65 mA at 16.5V.  They draw less than 1/2 an Amp at
120VAC.  One I use frequently draws 0.43 Amps.  Watts = Volts x Amps, so the
transformer in question draws 5.16 Watts.  There are 730 hours in the average
month.  730 x 5.16 = 3. kWh per month to power the average alarm system.

If you were paying $0.10 per kWh your alarm should cost about 37 cents a month
in power.  I have no idea what your power company charges (actually, I don't
even know what mine charges:)) but that should give you a fair approximation.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics