Re: Brinks Alarms: Beware of the Fuel Surcharge Tax

On Jul 30, 1:32 am, Jim <alarmi...@xxxxxxx> wrote:

   Consumers have no choice in the matter at this point. They can't
> insist on no long term contracts if they want monitoring. It's now a
> basic staple in this industry. You act as if it's a bad thing just
> because it's in the interest of the alarm company to have long term
> contracts. In you're world you're asking every dealer to give up the
> value of his business.

RHC: In most places and locales, a customer will have to search long
and hard to find a company that offers them more freedom of choice.
That in itself is predictable and understandable, given the self
serving nature of contracts. But it doesn't make it an ideal situation
for someone shopping for an alarm. We have the same predictable
behaviour up here with a large communication company that wants to
charge everyone for text messaging (including spam). The consumer
uproar was so large that the company backed down and established a
rate structure that was more user friendly. I'm not suggesting this
will happen any time soon with alarm contracts, but the more they are
abused, the more likely consumers will rise to the occasion. Locking
boards is now illegal in several locales (or about to be), and this is
long overdue. However, if a consumer comes to this group and sees that
there is a possibility that there are companies offering term
contracts on a monthly basis (and there certainly are in our area),
then maybe he or she will not just needlessly accept the self serving
insistence that they lock themselves in to a long term contract that
does nothing for them.

So in that sense, I will continue to mention it on the newsgroup when
it is appropriate and a potential end user comes on. Get over it...

> How about a good set of hearing aids?
> ( I just went through this for my Mom)  Look at what goes into them
> and look at the retail price and try to get them at a bargin price.
> But you can buy a 65 inch HD TV for less. As long as those industries
> hold firm (and they will, out of self interest) you, I and everyone
> will pay exorbitant prices for items of actual little value. Is it
> "right"? No. But I dare you to go to Newsgroups in those trades and
> propose that they reduce their profit margin because it will benefit
> the consumer .......... as you do here.

RHC: I also have personal experience with buying two hearing aids and
getting screwed to the tune of $5500. In fairness, this is a product
that has required a substantial amount of R&D, and the volumes are not
there to keep pricing down...but ....yes...the same situation applies.
Human nature being what it is, large corporate greed will always
prevail...

> Anyway, You say you'll drop the subject and as long as you do drop
> it..... things will be just peachy. ( of course I'm  presuming that
> means you wont mention it again)

RHC: Not a chance !! I'll bring it up when I consider it appropriate
or helpful to a newcomer coming on the newsgroup.

> Ummmm ... another thing. In your previous post, you accused me of
> missing something "obvious".  I notice you had nothing to say about
> the rest of my comments. Now THAT was obvious.

RHC: No, I didn't discuss the rest of your post since it doesn't do a
damn bit of good to challenge a bigot, a rascist or an atheist at his
own level. Your crap gives you away in spite of your eloquent attempts
to justify your attitudes. I'm sure many see through you but refuse to
engage you simply to keep peace on the newsgroup. The real truth is I
don't want to know you at any level, or converse with you on any
matter, or have anything to do with people like you. Forget any
differences of opinion on alarm matters.....you disgust me personally
at the most basic level. So it's time to put your posts back into the
toilet where they belong......

"PLONK"