Re: Do most DVR's hand both IP & Analog cameras?

For the most part a 4 port DVR means 4 BNC type analog camera inputs. Some
really low end units might have use RJ-45 or RJ-11 connections instead of
BNC for "kit" units with their own cameras. However traditional DVRs in
general and especially the kit types are rapidly becoming as old school as a
VCR. There are many hybrid DVR units that will accept both analog as well as
IP camera inputs. The Bosch DiBos is one of many hybrid units out there.
http://fe0wap86.bosch.de/intershoproot/eCS/Store/all/ST_NA/lit1/DiBosMicroDigit_DataSheet_enUS_T4079362955.pdf
Some manufacturers like American Dynamics are releasing software upgrades to
allow IP encoders/cameras to be used (with their encoders).
Most all IP cameras support PoE. You do have to double check the power
availability on the switch you select to match the camera load.
In the mega pixel camera market most all cameras are IP based. Most DVR
units, even hybrids, aren't made with enough IP through put or retention
capacity for more than one or two IP mega pixel cameras.