Scarborough on Bush

------=_NextPart_000_018C_01C85870.2D82AFE0

The greatest political gift a politician can receive from enemies is
the gift of being underestimated.

Democrats have always played into Republican presidents' hands by
dismissing them as dimwitted dunces who somehow stumbled their way
into the most powerful position on Earth.

Eisenhower was supposedly a dope who frittered away his time on golf
courses.

Chevy Chase portrayed Gerald Ford as a bumbling, accident-prone
commander-in-chief in countless SNL skits.

Ronald Reagan was branded a lightweight for years and described as a
confused old fool in Tip O'Neill's autobiography.

For the past six years George W. Bush has been the target of ridicule
from liberal circles. But now, instead of laughing at Democrats'
ill-directed arrogance, Republicans are quietly joining the left in
questioning the President's intellectual prowess.

The biggest knock on Bush's brain is his lack of intellectual
curiosity. Former administration officials still close to the White
House will tell you Mr. Bush detests dissent, embraces a narrow world
view and is intellectually incurious.

Worse for this White House is the fact that George W. Bush has daily
smackdowns with the English language and the English language usually
wins.

His gaffes are funnier than most SNL skits. But more disturbing are
his rambling, disjointed press conferences like the one he held
earlier this week.

Friends and foes alike agree that George W. Bush is one political
figure who gets worse with age. Look back at his performance as Texas
governor and you will see a funny, self-assured public figure who
inspires confidence. But these days, the mere opening of Mr. Bush's
mouth makes many GOP loyalists shake in their tasseled loafers.

So does it matter in the end whether our president is articulate and
intelligent?

You bet your life, it does. I'm not saying we need to elect a dork
like Michael Dukakis, who famously spent vacations at the beach
reading books on Swedish land use or was so overwhelmed with the
details of the old SALT treaties that he would sulk off to bed
depressed.

But when America is fighting a global war on terror where the battle
is for hearts and minds instead of beachheads and landing strips, we
need a leader who can explain to friend and foe alike why America is
in Iraq, why we keep sending arms to Israel and why liberal democracy
really is preferable to Islamic fascism.

Right now, George W. Bush is not that leader.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

------=_NextPart_000_018C_01C85870.2D82AFE0