Re: Here we go again

On Jan 13, 9:55=EF=BF=BDpm, "Crash Gordon" <webmas...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=

wrote:
> Yah, couldn't imagine Iran, of all places, being a threat to the already
> unstable middle east, let alone the world.
>
> --
> **Crash Gordon**

I recently read an article on what a zealot is.

I couldn't help but make a comparison.

Main Entry: zeal=EF=BF=BDot
Function: noun
Pronunciation: 'ze-l&t
Etymology: Late Latin zelotes, from Greek zelOtes, from zelos
1 capitalized : a member of a fanatical sect arising in Judea during
the first century A =EF=BF=BDd. and militantly opposing the Roman domination=

of Palestine
2 : a zealous person ; especially : a fanatical partisan

Main Entry: Partisan
Function: noun
Variants: also par=EF=BF=BDti=EF=BF=BDzan/'p=EF=BF=BDr-t&-z&n, -s&n, -"zan, =
chiefly British
"p=EF=BF=BDr-t&-'zan/
Etymology: Middle French partisan, from Old Italian partigiano, from
parte part, party, from Latin part-, pars part
1 : a firm adherent to a party, faction, cause, or person ;
especially : one exhibiting blind, prejudiced, and unreasoning
allegiance.

See what comes to your mind upon reading some of the following
observations, quotes, paraphrasing and  descriptions, of the
characteristics of a zealot.

First and foremost .......any talk about diminishing returns cannot be
mentioned when speaking to a zealot. "If it saves just one human life,
it is worth it" is usually the keynote phrase that identifies a
zealot. These kind of comments put the zealot on a higher moral plain
then others who consider mundane practical matters.

Putting themselves on the higher plain is the most important goal for
a zealot. Not the actual subject being considered. Zealots have a
vison of themselves as special people. In other words, they are ego
driven. Of course, since it's about ego, there is no room for
reconsideration on any subject, without giving the perception that
they are equal to or less than other people. Ego always trumps mundane
facts or logic. When a zealot pronounces his lofty position on a
subject, cost has no bearing on obtaining his goal. It doesn't matter
that the cost involved is usually well beyond the point of diminishing
returns or the cost of what will be undone or will not be done, in
other areas affected by solely concentrating on his lofty goals. Lofty
goals and dramatic crusades must always be included and this obviously
must consist of villains with the zealot being the hero. This is
something that appeals to the young ( the heros and villains thing is
why teens and young adults are so fervent in their naive quest for
perfection) and it also always appeals to those who remain adolescents
all of their lives.

The realities of life will force most people to grow up, whether we
want to or not. But for people who have been protected from reality or
who have been misguided by their parents into thinking they are
"different" than other people, or whose parents were indifferent and
were little involved in guiding them, maturity is optional.
Unfortunately, the zealots, with their lofty view of the world and of
other people, usually have an uncanny ability to stay within the law,
while inciting others, who are lesser but more practical people, to a
fervor. The  "thousands natural shocks that flesh is heir
to" (Shakespeare's Hamlet) have become a thousand reason for making
laws and decisions that have made us vulnerable to those who would
take our freedom.

Sound like anyone you know?