Re: False alarm due to temperature????

>The wire was free to move and I think when it got cold, the wire >shortened
just enough to come free.

Wire is typically free to move, unless it is tie wrapped or stapled.
I have never worked in a climate where I could detect the wire length
changed due to temperature.
In other words I don't understand what you're saying, but I am glad you
issue is solved.

<borne@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
On Jan 7, 3:02 pm, G. Morgan <alarm...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> bo...@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >> Check the wire resistance as others have suggested.
>
> >What resistance should I be seeing? If I am on the edge of the panel
> >reading the loop as open vs closed, will the temp drop affect
> >resistance enough to cause a false alarm?
>
> It could, yes. It could also be contacts going bad (especially the
> older non-sealed type), oxidation on the contacts, or the panel itself
> (you said it was hit by lightning).
>
> Remove the loop from panel and measure with the windows closed (closed
> loop) assuming there is no EOL resistor you should read less than 30
> ohms.

All the contacts are new since I replaced them just 3 months ago.  In
fact, I think I found the problem.  One of my butt connectors had not
been properly crimped. The wire was free to move and I think when it
got cold, the wire shortened just enough to come free.  I can assume
with fairly high confidence that is what happened.