Re: Key Pad Doors.

On Jan 6, 5:23 pm, Matt Ion <soundy...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sue wrote:
> > Similar situation with Canon.  Had a Powershot digital camera for over 5
> > years, 3.2 megapixel.  The LCD display started to fail, looking like it was
> > melting, and sometimes even just going black.  The photos echoed what showed
> > on the display.  I was about to toss it into the trash and make my way to
> > Circuit City.  First, tho, I visited the Canon website to see what the newer
> > models were like.  I happened to come across a notice regarding certain
> > camera models that were experiencing LCD problems in humid areas of the
> > country (mind you I live in the desert, but it does get humid sometimes)
> > cause by a manufacturing defect, and that they would repair these units free
> > of charge if this were the problem, no matter how far out of warranty they
> > were.  My model was on the list.  :-)  Bingo.
>
> > So I called the number on their website, and asked them for an RMA.  They
> > immediately emailed me with an RMA number, and a UPS or Fed Ex, can't
> > remember, shipping label that was prepaid.  I sent the camera back.  They
> > emailed me when the camera was received, and told me they were about to work
> > on it.  Once they opened it up, they sent me another email saying that all
> > repairs would be free of charge.  After about a week and a half, I received
> > a package from Canon.  I opened it, and lo and behold, there was a letter
> > explaining that they did not have the required parts to fix my old
> > Powershot, and they were enclosing a unit of equal or greater value.  My
> > god, this was a 10+ megapixel camera with a large LCD display!  Way better
> > than what I had sent them!  It's refurbished, but it looks and barks like a
> > new one.  I'm a Canon customer for life!
>
> Well as long as we're on good-customer-service stories, I'll relate one
> I had with NEC:
>
> Bought a used NEC laptop years ago, guy was selling it cheap because the
> hinge was super-stiff and in the process of closing it one day, he'd
> cracked the outer plastic casing.  It still worked fine, but it was
> almost impossible to open/close without a great deal of effort keeping
> all the pieces aligned.
>
> The laptop was several years old and long out of warranty, but I called
> NEC (toll-free number, gotta love it) to see if I could just order the
> piece of the case and replace it myself.  As soon as I explained the
> problem, they told me that this cracked case was a known defect with
> some models, and they'd repair it for free.  They asked for my address
> to send a courier, and asked if I'd need something to box it up in as
> well.  Purolator showed up the next morning with proper packing
> material, and took the thing away...
>
> About a week and a half later, I called NEC to check on the status...
> they apologized profusely for the delay, but they'd discovered another
> crack in the bottom part of the case as well, and the replacement part
> was back-ordered a couple days.  Two days later, they called me back,
> [...]

RHC: Ok, if we're into good service stories, I have one as well....

I only buy laptops made by a Canadian company called Eurocom, here in
Ottawa (www.eurocom.ca).  They are a bit more expensive than other
brand names, but when it comes to service, no one can touch them..

I have a 5 year old $4000 high end Eurocom laptop that developed a bad
crack in the case. Since it was long since out of warranty, I called
to ask them if there was any way to have this unit fixed at a
reasonable price. So I left it with them thinking that perhaps it
could be saved, but if it wasn't fixable, it at least gave me good
service for a number of years. Well, the next day, I got a call from
the fellow actually doing the repair work asking me if there was any
data on it that I needed saved. When I asked him why, he said the hard
drive was going, and there were other major problems with the unit
besides the cracked case. When I told him it wasn't within the three
year warranty period, he said something to the effect..." oh that
doesn't matter, you've been a good customer of ours (having purchased
three laptops from them previously), so we'll just pretend it's within
the warranty period".

Two days later, I had it back with a new hard drive, a new case, and
several of the input devices having been replaced as
well....charge ..zero !...nadda. When I got it home, they had also
installed a brand new copy of Windows XP Professional on it. Thinking
they must have made a mistake, I called to offer to pay for it.
Nope !..they said they'd purchased a bulk lot of this software...it
was mine free of charge... and I could comfortably go ahead and
register with Microsoft.  A couple of days after that, they called to
make sure I was happy with everything they had repaired....(duh)

Needless to say, Eurocom is the ONLY laptop I will ever buy, and I
have sent them no less than 10 other customers who have also purchased
from them with equal satisfaction

What goes around, comes around....