Re: DIY - Sometimes....

"tourman" wrote:

>> Name "one" of the "numerous" that post here that won't service a
>> local system and provide the Google link.
>
> RHC: Uh....not to jump in to the middle of this pissing contest,
> but I won't work on a non monitored system for any reason -
> period!!

No problem there, Bob.  You're under no obligation to service a
non-monitored system.  Most other alarm companies won't either.  FTR,
it's not a contest.  I post what I know and what I believe.  Olson
posts... well, urine.  :^)

> Why not?...for several reasons..
>
> 1- My business model is not to sign parties to anything other than
> a month to month contract. So if they want their local system
> serviced, I do it, and one month later they leave me ?

I understand your approach and it's different from most in that you
don't insist on a long-term contract.  You try to keep your customers
by servicing them well instead of an air-tight contract.  The reality
is that your approach should act as a filter -- the good people stay
with you while the cheapskates go away.  This is a good thing.  :^)

> 2- Local alarms are next to useless and I won't waste my time and
> someone's money fixing a local system.

We disagree on that point, Bob.  IMO (and that's all it is: my
opinion), most thieves will run off right away when they hear a loud,
exterior siren.  They don't know if the police have been called but
they do know that anyone within earshot is likely to be paying
attention.  Obviously, in high crime areas and some sparsely
populated places that's not true, but in the kind of neighborhoods I
worked in (primarily middle class to affluent residential) for over
20 years it certainly was.

That's my opinion about burglar alarms.  Fire is a different story.
If a fire erpupts and the homeowner is fast asleep or not around, the
central station can often get the fire department out in time to save
lives or property.

> 3- With too many accounts now, I reserve my limited time and energy
> for servicing my RMR paying customers.

Agreed.  From the standpoint of the alarm company, monitored accounts
are worth far more effort than local alarms.  There is no reason why
you shoould have to service an alarm that only pays for the time when
the same time can be spent on an RMR generating account.

> I gladly help people when they call me...

I know.  I never forgot the time you made several international phone
calls to help me out on a system with which I wasn't familiar.
Remember that guy -- a doctor in California IIRC.

> but I simply won't waste my time (even billable time) on a local
> system. Luckily, virtually everyone I deal with sees the logic in
> having their alarm monitored properly, especially when it comes
> bundled with service and 100% warranty and all at a reasonable
> market price !

That last part if one of the best reasons an alarm user ought to
consider a professionally installed alarm.  When the company provides
effective, reasonably priced service as part of the deal it's worth
the expense.  The problem is that for every company like yours there
are at least a dozen Jiminexes who'll gladly gouge the client for all
they can get and two dozen "authorized dealers" who haven't a clue
what customer service means.

> Sorry Frank, but you asked.....

He wasn't really interested in an answer -- just whining.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics