Re: DIY - Sometimes....

Robert L Bass wrote:
> "Bob La Londe" wrote:
>>
>> ...  I get a number of calls from folks who have moved into a home
>> where we installed a system for a previous owner.  I politely tell
>> them, "We charge a full one hour service call to come out, check the
>> system, train you on how it works, and bring a spare user manual or
>> print out a copy for you.  If you go on monitoring service with us we
>> will waive the cost of the initial service call. If there is anything
>> wrong with your system that requires materials or labor in excess of
>> one hour you will have to pay for that in either case."  Their next
>> few sentences always tell me what I am dealing with.
>
> There are some similarities with online sales, except that we don't
> charge for our time -- just the merchandise.  We frequently get calls
> from people who've tripped an alarm that was installed by a previous
> tennant or owner and don't know how to shut it off.  If I know the
> system and they sound real I walk them through disabling it,

I'm sure everyone "sounds real" on the telephone.  Sure Bass...  Every
thief should have your number memorized.  "I'm going to break...
errmm...  enter my newly purchased house but the previous owner left the
system "armed".  How do I disable it??"  Heard from "Elvis" lately?

<snip>

>> An amazing number think we should come out and service the system, run
>> copies of user manuls and alarm information, and train them on it
>> without being paid at all...
>
> A lot of "service" calls come from people who think we are Napco,
> Honeywell or whatever.  They search online for the manufacturer but our
> link often comes up first (gotta love Google) so they call.  If all they
> need is a manual I email one to them.  It's no big deal. I have quite a
> few on my server and links to hundreds more on our vendors' servers.
> Since going out to service their alarms isn't an option (half the time
> they're calling from Texas or Idaho it seems), I don't mind helping out
> a bit.  You never know when it may turn into a sale down the road.  Of
> course, for a local alarm company "you never know... down the road"
> isn't goiong to pay for thecost of sending a tech out.
>
>> This little bit right here is exactly what I need to say to them to
>> save myself a ton of headaches:
>>
>> "We charge a full one hour service call to come out, check the system
>> train you on how it works and bring a spare user manual or print out a
>> copy for you.  If you go on monitoring service with us we will waive
>> the cost of the initial service call.  If there is anything wrong with
>> your system that requires materials or labor in excess of one hour you
>> will have to pay for that in either case."
>
> That's fair and reasonable -- far better than many other companies might
> do.  If they won't accept that you're better off not dealing with them.

You frequently use "most" and "many" when you denigrate installation
companies.  I find that "most" and "many" alarm service companies charge
a reasonable rate for service.  "Most" people understand that it costs
money to roll a service truck to their premises and expect to be charged
a "reasonable amount".  As long as they agree to the price quoted over
the phone I have no problem servicing a local alarm system.  Of course,
this kind of information doesn't interest you in the slightest because
it goes against the Bass-ic Principle of Alarm DIY.

>> I never ever waive the service call for somebody who has learned to,
>> "beef," or who tries to play manipulation games.  While its probably
>> to late in their lives to try behavior modification I still believe
>> its wrong to reward bad behavior.
>
> So Jiminex won't be getting much help from you, eh?  :^)

Jim doesn't need Bob's help...  Or yours.  You on the other hand don't
have a problem stealing his installation methods and fobbing them off as
your own...

> When I owned a small alarm company we would service any system we
> installed during the warranty period (I gave five years in the early
> days but later cut it back to two), even if a new owner moved in.

You mean like any other alarm company out there??

> We
> got a lot of new monitoring contracts that way.

Well duh-hhh!

> I don't disagree with you.  Unreasonable people rarely admit they've
> jerked the previous contractor around.  But there are enough calls from
> folks who say they've been screwed by the local company or from folks
> who can't get service without signing a multi-year monitoring agreement
> that I know that happens a lot, too.  Even here in ASA numerous alarm
> techs say they won't service any alarm unless it's monitored by them.

Name "one" of the "numerous" that post here that won't service a local
system and provide the Google link.