Re: Opinions on the GE Digia-4-160 MPEG-4 DVR

Ned wrote:
> On Feb 4, 11:46 am, Matt Ion <soundy...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ned wrote:
>>> Anyone have expereince with this? It's a GE product and going for
>>> about $799 for 4 channels. It uses MPEG-4 which it states is for small
>>> applications. I plan to purchase 2 IP cameras and use 1 existing
>>> analog camera.
>> I went through two of these one one site.  Both failed within a couple
>> months.  GE support was almost impossible to reach and of practically no
>> help either time.
>>
>> They don't support IP cameras, either.
>>
>> Don't walk away... run.
>
> Thanks. Any thoughts on an IP camera solution for two cameras? Axis
> offers software that can be loaded onto a PC to handle this for a
> small site.

We typically use IQEye cameras, although we've used Pelco IPs on a
couple of sites where they wanted the smaller domes.  IQEye have a few
utilities for PC access/control but none I've used that really work as
standalone DVR/NVR applications.

We've been using the cameras with VideoInsight (www.video-insight.com)
and Vigil (www.camacc.com) DVRs.  VideoInsight has a standalone IP
Server application that may suit your needs; it's licensed on a
per-camera basis but I have no idea what the actual cost is.

Both