Re: AlarmNet reliability how can it go down with no notice?

On Feb 2, 8:50=A0pm, Nomen Nescio <nob...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >I made an assumption that my radio sent some kind of watch dog signal
> >to the central station every 10 minutes so they can make sure the
> >network is functioning. This is not the case, apparently. My call
> >center stays completely unaware whenAlarmNethas any failure. This
> >has me very worried. I can no longer depend on the network at all.
>
> >Can anyone explain howAlarmNetworks? There is no explination on
> >their website. The alarm companies don't seem to want to share with me
> >any technical details about howAlarmNetworks. My position is that
> >the proper thing to do is to have each node on the network send a
> >short packet of data like [STX]station ID,Ready[ETX] every 10 minutes.
> >The load on the network would be minimal. We're talking less than 100
> >bytes of data multiplied by 50K or so radio sets: less than 50 megs of
> >data in 10 minutes. That works out to a loafing 10Kpbs throughput. The
> >call center would then know in ten minutes that my radio was no longer
> >communicating with the call center. The call center could then take
> >steps to find out why and notify me that something is wrong with my
> >system. Therefore, even though radio networks are not 100% reliable,
> >at least I can be 100% confidant that when my alarm system is armed, I
> >will know quickly when or if there is a problem.
>
> First of all, there are different types ofAlarmnetservice. =A0You probably=

> haveAlarmnet-C orAlarmnet-GSM service; more on these in a moment. There
> is alsoAlarmnet-M service, which can be programmed to detect a loss of
> radio communication within six minutes, and which you will pay dearly for.=

> And, in some large cities, there isAlarmnet-A service. =A0Alarmnet-I is an=

> Internet reporting system, not a radio system, that can also detect a loss=

> of communication within minutes.
>
> Alarmnethad a problem: =A0it wanted to sell radio alarm service nationwide=
,
> without having to build and maintain its own nationwide radio network. =A0=
The
> solution was to use the control channels of the cellular telephone network=
,
> which of course they have to pay for. =A0This gives a big radio network at=

> little cost, one that is maintained by someone else. =A0Through an
> arrangement with the cellular companies, alarm signals are sent back toAla=
rmnetin New York, which then sends them on to the appropriate central
> station by various means.
>
> TheseAlarmnet-C and -GSM radios are designed to be reasonably affordable,
> and to impose a minimum amount of overhead on the cellular providers'
> networks. =A0The monthly fee also reflects the low network traffic. =A0Ala=
rmnet
> is supposed to be releasing a version of the GSM radios soon that will do
> frequent polling, however I expectAlarmnet'smonthly fee for that service
> will probably be more than you are paying for your monitoring today. =A0 Y=
our
> central station will also charge a higher monthly fee for having to deal
> with the occasional temporary loss of radio communications -- often just
> long enough to be annoying, and perhaps, to call you.
>
> TheAlarmnet-C service is based on analog cell technology, which will be
> going away soon. =A0The =A0GSM radios are whatAlarmnetis promoting most
> heavily at the moment.
>
> Alarmnetalready offers a combination Internet communicator and GSM radio
> called the 7845-iGSM. =A0This does not provide the five minute supervision=
 of
> the true Internet communicators, but it does provide alarm reporting by
> Internet, GSM radio, and SMS radio if the other two fail. =A0It's somethin=
> to discuss with your alarm service provider, as it's more secure than what=

> you have now.
>
> - badenov- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your insight. My dealer didn't do a good job of
explaining how AlarmNet worked and some of the problems with it. I can
see that I need a backup. However, POTS is not going to work for me.
1) Verizon removed my copper when they installed my FIOS. 2) $20/mo
for POTS just for the Alarm seems excessive especially when the last
break I had, the burglar cut my FIOS (thinking it was the phone line).
I think TCP/IP will have to do.