OT ... audio

I guess this is OT unless someone out there is installing audio
video.

I regularly install home theater systems for my clients. Install flat
screens, surround speakers, receivers and integrate all their hardware
and teach them how to use it.

Every once in awhile someone asks me about MP3 players and downloading
music, which I personally, have never had the desire to do. What
little I've heard of it ..... it sounds like pretty poor quality
audio ... to me. But, I guess some people just want the music,
regardless of what it sounds like.

Anyone out there know about or can direct me to some of the basics
about downloading, use and installation of MP3(?)
...... "stuff" ? Is there anything other than MP3?

And ...... are there "better" sounding music downloads? Better
computer recording programs/applications? Better players ..... etc,
available?

Just need a little handle on the basics.