Re: Another Bush Plan Bites (the dust, that is)

A87.2927@xxxxxxxxxxx

> > The monthly figure of people killed in Iraq rose by 50% in March compare=
> with
> > the previous month, according to official government counts. =A0March al=
so
> saw
> > an increase in bombings and intense fighting between Shia militiamen and=

> > government forces. =A0Correspondents say the figures will be a blow to t=
he
> > Baghdad government and the US, which had claimed overall levels of
> violence
> > had been reduced by last year's US troop surge.
>
> > Hundreds of people died in fighting last week in the southern city of
> Basra
> > after Prime Minister Nouri Maliki ordered a crackdown on Shia militias.
> > Reports say many of the dead were civilians caught in the crossfire. =A0=
Mr.
> > Maliki hailed the crackdown as a "success" and pledged to recruit 10,000=

> extra
> > troops to keep order in Basra.
>
> > --
>
> > Regards,
> > Robert L Bass
>
> It worked too, Sadr gave up

gave up?

the shiite faction we back as the legitimate government, which happens
to be the most pro-Iran of the shiites, decides this is a good time to
attack the anti-Iran and anti-US shiites (the kind of folks we'd call
patriots if we weren't fighting them so we could keep our military in
their country) before the next election, since they have a lot more
support than "our" shiites, who only won last time because those other
guys boycotted the election;
bush calls this a "defining moment";
things don't go well, to the point where even the Americans in the
green zone have to wear body armor when they're outdoors and aren't
allowed to congregate unnecessarily, like in the mess halls for
meals;
the Iranians come in and order our buddies to back off and broker a
truce, signed in an Iranian city no less;
the bushies spin this as Iranian support for terrorism and violence in
Iraq which we're there to prevent;
and you sum it all up as "It worked too, Sadr gave up"?
the only folks who come out of this better are the Iranians. not what
I see as "it worked" unless you happen to be named Ahmadinejad