VoIP transmission troubles

I'd like to hear from some of the regulars about their experiences
with alarm transmission over VoIP.

I have one customer who without my knowledge changed to VoIP from a
Bell line, and then asked me to hook up the panel using his new
service. I did so reluctantly, but only after he signed a legal
agreement limiting liability, and with the express understanding it
was being done experimentally. I programmed in a daily test and kept
watch each morning for failures to communicate. It seemed to stop
transmitting only very occasionally, until one day it started sending
"ghost" signals which resulted in a police dispatch on the wrong
account number. The panel was programmed in Contact ID, but it seems
when the signal went out on the network, it transposed a "6 " in the
account code for a "5". Then the comedy of errors increased when the
station failed to check the CID (where they would have picked up that
it was coming from the wrong phone number) and dispatched the police.
Needless to say, I had an unhappy client who couldn't understand why
the cops arrived...(and yes, the account number in the panel IS
properly programmed...).

Bottom line, I disconnected the customer's service until and unless
the client chooses to get a proper communication medium. He claims
there are other companies who will hook him up successfully, but I
suspect they just might be more interested in his business than his
security system. The problem is of course, they could tell him
anything about his alarm and he would likely agree, not ever really
knowing if the panel is communicating properly or not.....

Anyone else experiencing these kind of problems and if so, have you
come up with any solutions (other than the obvious one of getting
proper phone service). I hated to lose this client of many years, but
at least for the moment, I don't see any other alternative if it's
affecting other customers.