Re: Radionics Software Question

> I am working with the Bosch rep in trying
> to get the upgrade, but I've been waiting
> a long time for an answer... I've already
> been shot down a few months back for
> becoming a BCSD only because I just do
> this work part-time and they want a
> commitment from me to purchase several
> thousand dollars worth of product...  I've
> been told that once approved...

This tells you something about your future
prospects should you press forward with
Bosch.  You'll end up with customers you
can't support because Bisch will drop you
after a while.

If it were my business -- part or full time --
I'd look at some of the other manufacturers
that don't play elitist games to try to make
their very ordinary products appear "upscale."
Take a look at Napco's Gemini line of control
panels.  They're among the best built, most
configurable systems on the market and you
don't have to make promises you can't keep
just to buy the product.  Napco is available
from scores of distributors all over the
country, not to mention online retailers like
myself.

Honeywell (nee: Ademco) also makes a
wide range of quality alarm products.  Their
panels aren't as flexible as Napco but they're
easy to program by keypad or modem.  They
make a full compliment of wired and wireless
sensors as well.  Some here like to bash
Honeywell but their controls are reliable (not
*great* like Napco, perhaps) and widely
accepted.

Both Napco and Honeywell offer free
software (downloadable from their servers)
an d lots of online as well as phone support.
Note: If you call Honeywell for tech support
you'll eventually speak to someone who is
knowledgeable but the queue tends to be
a bit long so bring a copy of "War and Peace"
of the complete "Narnia Tales" and several
cups of coffee.  :^)

BTW, I used to dislike Ademco (now Honeywell)
due to QC issues with their products from many
years ago.  That was then.  Things have
improved a lot in the 30 years I've been in the
trade.

I would also mention GE Security but working
with the company is becoming progressively
more difficult.  Sales and customer service are
bottoming out (assumiong they don't find a
way to make things worse).  Their website is
a disaster -- difficult to maneuver and loaded
with useless pages.  They do have a handy
online guide that newbie installers and end
users find helpful.  It explains in great detail
how to use all sorts of detectors.  You can
download it in PDF format from here:

http://www.gesecurity.com/portal/site/GESecurity/menuitem.45121a7b14f68165b1e2ff10140041ca/?vgnextoid=343a148067b33010VgnVCM100000410014acRCRD

Place a check mark in the box labeled
"Application Notes" and click the "GO" button
below there to download it.  The guide is of
course designed to teach you to use their
products but the techniques are mostly
portable to other brands.

--

Regards,