Re: DVRs & Proprietary Add-on Storage - The Norm?

Most makers offer their own ready made add on storage, which has been
configured, and tested throughly to work with their equipment. Most of
the expansion I've seen has been SCSI (and now some USB and SATA is
starting to appear), which you could probably build a custom add on
for. However, the manufacturer would advice against it, because they
cannot test every configuration possible, and they won't warrenty any
damage that could be caused by some off the wall setup. It's most
likely possible (there are only so many interfaces that exist for hard
drives), the companies 1: don't want to risk the customer screwing
something up by 2: offering a product that may be a bit more than you
could buy yourself at newegg, but it has been engineered and tested to
work reliably with the product.