Re: LOCKED PANEL

> I've stated it before but in a nut shell, I lock my panels when
> they're installed. They stay locked as long as I monitor the system.
> If people move out, whether I'm informed or not, the board stays
> locked. If the new people call me to resume monitoring, obviously, the
> board stays locked, again while I monitor the system. Should the new
> owner want to go with someone else and never calls me, the board,
> obviously, will remain locked and the owner, unfortunately will likely
> get ripped off by the new installer, if the installer isn't honest
> enough to tell the owner he can call me.  If he calls and asks me to
> unlock it, if I can download it, I'll do it at no charge. If I have to
> make a trip, for some/any reason, I get a check (waiting for it to
> clear first) prior to making the trip, or cash payment when I walk in
> the door, for a service call.

RHC: Ok, you've stated your position and that's how you choose to run
things. Although I find your approach unusually harsh, I don't know
the business conditions you work under so I don't pass judgment on
that part of it. I gather things are far more competitive in your area
and there are more underhanded tactics being employed by competitors,
so it's perhaps understandable. However, I would certainly take issue
with the fact you don't unlock the customer's board once his contract
is up with you, forcing him to get back to you for unlocking, or the
new installation company to do the same. Plus, I don't think a charge
to the customer is fair to undo something you've done to HIS equipment
solely to provide a measure of protection to yourself. If things are
so hard nosed within the industry where you are, it's not likely the
competitive company would even bother to contact you, thereby ensuring
the client would end up being charged for a new board almost
automatically. So the customer would end up penalized unfairly
regardless.

One of the other problems with taking a wholesale approach to locking
boards is a lot of small guys leave the business leaving a useless
board in their wake. I know this doesn't apply to you since you have
been in business a lot of years, but in my unregulated area, it is
very common. The put in 10 or so "free systems", decide it is too
expensive to continue, and simply disappear. One of the large
companies in our area buys up smaller companies like this, and even
some not-so-small ones. Even though the installer codes are given to
them when the deal is done, a lot of panels don't end up having those
installer codes in them, and the buyer ends up with a useless board.

> I think someone  ummm maybe it was Petrum who had a problem with this
> last part when I stated it ....a number of years ago. I think he
> didn't like the idea that I charged for unlocking the board. To
> me ..... regardless, a service call is a service call.

RHC: I would have to agree with him on this. I think a service call
that is generated because you cannot undo something that you should
have undone when his contract was up is not reasonable.

I think that's all you should need to take your shot.

RHC: I'm not here to "take a shot" at anyone including you. I would
like to think that as professionals we could discuss things
intelligently even when we TOTALLY disagree with each other as we do.
Needless to say, you and I are at both ends of the spectrum regarding
how we run our businesses. So be it ! Neither will change the other.
Perhaps my business couldn't even be run in your neck of the woods,
and your's likely wouldn't survive in my environment; so be it !!

BTW, suggesting as you do that if I knew who you actually are would
represent some kind of threat to you is ridiculous. When I close down
my computer and the virtual world disappears, so does everything about
it. There are only three people I have met in person on this
newsgroup...Mikey, who is local: Jim Rojas in Tampa and RLB both of
whom I have had the pleasure of meeting, and both of whom are quite
unlike there on line persona.

I suggest you might want to reserve judgment about people until you
have met them.