Re: PIRs for house with ceiling heating & cooling vents and "pets"!

>Yes, some of the PIRs are actually quite close to the heating ducts.
>The people who did the install are a Melbourne company called Insec
>security http://www.insec.com.au/ (Yes I am in Australia) . I have
>already called them. So hopefully they can do something. However, the
>guy I spoke to is trying to get me to accept that this is the way it
>is, and that I should never ever let my heating come on when the
>alarms are armed.

I concur with alarman; the motion detectors are not installed properly.  As
a general rule, you should not be able to feel any strong drafts at the
motion detector, and this applies to dual tech units as well as to straight
PIRs.  Three feet away from a register is entirely too close.  The solution
is moving the units to a different location, not installing dual techs in
the same bad locations.  Your alarm company is probably loath to do this
because it would mean running wire instead of just swapping equipment.

It is your alarm company's job to provide you with a system that works
reliably, not to tell you to turn off your heating system.  If you aren't
getting satisfaction from the people you are talking to, discuss your
problem with the company's service manager.