Re: IP Security Cameras

Frank Olson wrote:
> FishyThoughts wrote:
>> New kind o' network job landed in my hands;
>> I'm helping a client put an IP camera in each of his stores;
>> 3 don't work & 3 do (1 just needed to reset the camera & port after a
>> power failure).
>>
>> The remaining stores have ATT/ma bell's netopia routers (setting into
>> bridge mode),
>> which drop over to linksys routers; non-wireless 4 ports w/ a wan i/o.
>> The prior tech hadn't requested a block of static IP's, which I just
>> did Friday, after a LONG run-around to confirm that I was an
>> authorized person to modify the account....
>> _____________
>> This is where I need help;
>> Now I need to poke a hole thru the linksys,
>> to allow the camera(s) to send out to the net, using a new static IP.
>>
>> Any hints, warnings, or provisos would be greatly appreciated!
>> Thanks kindly!
>>   Amanda
>>

> The Linksys Router I use will allow a single IP network address "open"
> access on WAN.  You have to configure the router as non-DHCP, then
> assign a static IP for each device on the LAN.

You don't have to disable DHCP for everything on the LAN... just give
the one machine a hard-coded IP outside of the DHCP server's pool range.

Either that, or use a router that will let you reserve IPs for for
specified machines on the LAN.

Personally, I've never had anything but problems with Linksys routers in
these types of installations - the LAN IP of a machine should never
change unless the machine is offline for longer than the DHCP lease
period, and even then, it should normally get the same IP back unless
another client has taken it after it becomes available.  Every site I've
set up that used a Linksys, I've had to hard-code the DVR's IP because
the router's DHCP server would randomly change the DVR's address... and
none of the Linksys units (at least not the cheap-ass ones that everyone
seems to buy) support reserved IPs.