Re: PTZ Dome Recommendations

"Alex Threlfall" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> farmerclint@xxxxxxxxx says...
> > I am looking to install an exterior PTZ camera to view a parking lot.
> > I am new to the CCTV side so I would appreciate any advice concerning
> > reliable PTZs.  I am currently looking at the Bosch Autodome 300 and
> > the Pelco Spectra IV series.  Any recommendations on manufacturers?

I have used Pelco Spectra II and Pelco Spectra III.  They are ok, with some
of the older ones seeming to hold up a little better than the newer ones.
Indoor installations seem to have almost no problems.  I have not used the
Bosch Autodomes, but there are some guys here who will swear by them.

I'm getting ready to install several of the Spectra IV domes in specialty
indoor application.  We shalls ee how they hold up, but like I said, I've
had almost no problems with any of the indoor applications.

I think for outdoor applications I may spring the extra money (if the
customer will pay for it) to try the pressurized domes next time around.

> > Also, has anyone had issues using Cat5e for the RS432?  Thank you for
> > any input.

Not sure what RS432 is.  I'm pretty sure the Pelco Spectra Domes all use
RS422.  Some other domes use RS485.  I have not had any issue with upto
1500' combined length controlling Spectra II domes over 18ga Shielded with
drain grounded at the recorder.  One thing to bear in mind that might make
your life easier.  Spectra Domes can be controlled over the coax (coaxitron)
also without using a seperate RS422 communication pair.  Some DVRs support
this control directly.  Some only support a limited set of the commands over
coaxitron.  Its worth asking, and may save you some headaches.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com