Re: Help with new security system

>We are installing a new entry door that will allow an electronic >actuator
to unlock the door.

There are many types of "actuators". Many internal door "actuators". that
pin the top and bottom of a door may have duty cycle limitations. You could
have too many employees coming and going in too short a time and overheat
those type units. See what type "actuators" you have by looking here:
http://www.hesinnovations.com/
Hopefully you have a magnetic lock or strike. Those are seldom a problem
with duty cycles, although some can get very hot in just normal operation.

Next the card reader and cards come into play.
http://www.hidcorp.com/

>I am trying to locate  control panels that allow for both a keypad >and a
key card system.

There are many that can do that.
In the available to authorized dealers only section you'll find:
Bosch G Series can do up 8 doors.
http://fe0wap86.bosch.de/intershoproot/eCS/Store/all/ST_NA/lit1/D9412GV2Control_DataSheet_enUS_F2285532427.pdf
The DMP XR500 up to 16 doors
http://buy.dmp.com/dmp/Shop?DSP=30100&PCR=1:100:10010:10056&IID=XR500

In the available to any dealer section you'll find:
The DSC PC4020 (Maxsys) Yes, it can do it too but, yuck, it's really nasty,
not CP-01 and end of life. Might not be legal to use in your area. It could
be the cheapest solution, in every sense of the word.
http://www.dsc.com/Default.aspx?id=67

Napco panels are available to any dealer but the access control portion is
available to authorized dealers only, with a limited edition panel that
could be available to nearly any dealer.
Napco panels can work with Continental Instruments panels and software to do
the same thing as an integrated panel.
http://www.napcosecurity.com/panels.html
http://napcosecurity.com/images/a494_cisupertwo.pdf

Honeywell makes a Vista series panel that is CP-01 that can be used with
NStar panels, but doesn't work as well as the Napco integration. Other than
Vista being CP-01, they can be wretched panels to install and program,
especially when programming relays. This and the NStar is the mainstay of
"Last Choice Security" in many cases. Best to stay away from it if other
options are available. These panel tend to sell well because it is sold to
nearly anyone without the need for training, experience, or credentials of
any sort. Beware of those that suggest it. Those that sell or recommend do
it in many cases because that is simply all they can get. Many have never
worked on real access control system like Software House, AMAG, Lenel, JCI
and the like and simply don't know any better.
http://www.honeywellaccess.com/resources/matrix/index.html

You may wish to check fire codes in your area to be certain you understand
regulations involving access controlled doors, and include fire alarm
interrupt regulations. Don't buy anything until you understand what permits
are necessary and what type engineering plans need to be submitted.