Re: PTZ Dome Recommendations

farmerclint@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am looking to install an exterior PTZ camera to view a parking lot.
> I am new to the CCTV side so I would appreciate any advice concerning
> reliable PTZs.  I am currently looking at the Bosch Autodome 300 and
> the Pelco Spectra IV series.  Any recommendations on manufacturers?
>
> Also, has anyone had issues using Cat5e for the RS432?  Thank you for
> any input.

I've installed a number of Spectra IIIs, they're good units; I hear the
Spectra IVs are a good step up, but I've not used one yet.

I'd suggest running a single piece of Cat5e to the camera and using
baluns to run control, video AND power over a single line -
http://www.nvt.com/applications/vpptz_218.html for example. If you're
using PTZ systems that use Coaxitron protocol (control signal is fed
over the coax) you can use a solution like this:
http://www.nvt.com/applications/upthecoax_app.html

It costs a little more this way, but it's a hulluva lot simpler than
pulling multiple wires of different types... plus, you then already have
Cat5e in place if you ever upgrade to IP cameras later.