Re: Window Sensors

I understand that you believe that current and voltage are leaking into or
entering the circuit from a direct contact at some point with the bolt or
its spreading leaders and doing damage.
The point I am making is there are powerful magnetic fields that build and
collapse during a strike, occurring several times, that tend to generate the
currents and voltage in the alarm circuits that do the damage. I have seen
true direct lightning strikes into systems and strikes that cause induced
voltage damage. The two are never the same in the order of magnitude of
destruction. The direct strikes contacting an alarm system burns everything
to absolute cinders. Wiring, sirens, control panels, protectors, Telco
wiring from pole to house, all phone jacks, any electrical interface, all of
it is gone. Like Star Trek phaser beam gone. Left only with two devils horns
of burnt soot coming from the hole where the jack or device used to be.
Other than metal housings, circuit boards turn to dust and the devices made
of plastic are gone, as in nothing but the lead anchors gone. You'll see the
burn spot, or a whole in the roof (like a hole saw about 2 inches in
diameter), along with about a 10 foot diameter of completely blown off
roofing tile, including roofing paper, down to bare plywood. Underneath the
roof the ceiling sheetrock will be blown loose from the heat of expansion
and nails will be popping out of every sheetrock seam. Chunks of concrete
will be blown from the slab as the rebar is vaporized and the pressure
explodes the concrete above it. The plumbing, if metal, will be destroyed in
the slab or in the walls. I've even seen direct strikes pit and destroy full
sized magnetic locks. If it is just an induced voltage you'll see contacts
welded, panels scrambled, phone relays arced and the like, even when the
strike is some distance away from the house, and therefore the panel. The
two are very different. The direct strike is one you hardly ever see, or
want to for that matter, the induced lightning damage is far more common.