Re: New GE gear

On Nov 21, 4:20=EF=BF=BDpm, "Roland Moore" <nos...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The GE boys (and girls) showed up this morning. I saw this new touch scree=
> keypad. It looks like the typical =EF=BF=BDtouch screen, only it's lots bi=
gger than
> Honeywell's color version (and costs lots more money too). Seems that GE h=
as
> this big push for Ecomagination. The alarm panel is going to link up with
> all this other GE stuff in the house and display it via the keypad. Solar
> roof, electic panel, HVAC, even GE appliances (water usage monitoring) and=

> all via CAT 5 to a cental brain. It reminds me of something like BACnet,
> only it works with GE gear only, and is not a common standard platform. GE=

> is getting builders on board with this Ecomagination program to help boost=

> falling housing sales. This could make residential almost worth doing agai=
> if it works. Is anyone here in this program yet?

I'd never sign on to any exclusive product program.

This is the same old ploy that manufacturers and marketing groups have
used for eons. Exclusivity, dealership programs, marketing programs,
same ol shit programs. You get all the jerks who can't market or sell
for themselves signing on as if THIS were going to be the road to
nirvana and all they wind up with is the majority of them going out of
business and the rest installing the product so they can capture their
clients.

I'd think that somewhere in time they'd figure all this out and
realize that the most successful method, over the long run is an open
platform.