Re: honeywell system - adding zones/devices

johnmolinda@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a home alarm system that uses Honeywell/Ademco devices. I want
> to add a new motion detector and a new window detector. How can I do
> this? The the alarm company refuses to give instructions to me; they
> want to send a tech out for $100/hr.  The keypad is the Vista-15.
> (they also wanted to charge me $150 for a motion detector and I just
> bought 2 of them on ebay for $50 total).

If your system uses wireless devices, then you're going to have to
access installer level programming to enroll the new devices.  If the
motions you purchased on eBay are "wire in", then you're going to have
to run wire from the common control to the place on the wall that you
want to install them.  In order to accomplish the latter you're also
going to have to access installer level programming to activate the zone
on the system (or use an already programmed zone).  If your system is
monitored, then I know your contract will state that the alarmco must
provide this service.  This isn't to "protect" their revenue stream so
much as to ensure that you don't inadvertently alter a programming
parameter which might compromise your system.  If you do want to install
the wired in devices yourself there's a FAQ you can read on the subject.
  It's located at http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/faqs.htm.  Good luck!