816, 1632 panels

I know this has been asked many times before but I would like for once to get a straight answer
from somone in this group. I have several of the subject panels that I have accumulated as a result of replacing them
panels I could program. Napco tech support says that on the 816 and 1632 panels, there is no way of getting into the
program without the dealer code, only on the 3200 and up can a chip be replaced that has this
info. So is this true or not? If not, why have I been told by some people in this group that for
a fee it can be done? Then if there is no chip to replace what would I be paying for, just someones
knowledge? I thought that's what these groups were for, to SHARE knowledge!
 So as a last gasp before these things hit the recylce bin , what's the truth? Either tell
me it can't be done or tell me how to do it.