Re: PIRs for house with ceiling heating & cooling vents and "pets"!

On Oct 26, 10:40 am, "alarman" <thatsallfol...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi alarman,
>
> > Yes, some of the PIRs are actually quite close to the heating ducts.
> > The people who did the install are a Melbourne company called Insec
> > securityhttp://www.insec.com.au/(Yes I am in Australia) . I have
> > already called them. So hopefully they can do something. However, the
> > guy I spoke to is trying to get me to accept that this is the way it
> > is, and that I should never ever let my heating come on when the
> > alarms are armed. If he is correct, I might have to get some highly
> > paid heating technician or electrician to figure out how to ensure the
> > heaters can  be totally disabled!
>
> > On the idea of dual tech PIRs, if I understand the theory correctly,
> > is it because of the microwave element that this technology might be
> > less vulnerable to alarming when the heaters come on?
>
> Yes, that's the idea.
>
> Oh, and your alarmco is full of shit. Get them to replace the PIR's they
> installed incorrectly, with dual-tech units, or move them. I lean toward the
> dual techs.
>
> --
> js
>
> - The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
> ( Also, the harder they bite, punch, and kick.)

Folks,

Update on the drama with my system. The company has agreed to replace
the DSC pirs with Bosch Tritech units (They also call them blue line).
The bad news ... they cost a lot more. Even if they are not charging
me labour, its still working out to an additional AUD$660, thats 6
units in total. As expected, the family are not supporting me on this
one.  Yes, I did complain and kick up a fuss, but they are standing
firm on the fact that they are only charging me the difference in the
cost of my originals and the new units.  What I can't figure out is,
pirs in general seem to cost a lot more here in Aus than say in the US
or UK. I took a look at Bass's online store ... for 6 units, without
shipping, it's still only a third of what I am spending here. I have
called around a few other local companies, and they are all charging
way above US rates, in fact the cost I got from my installer is
cheap ... hmmm, maybe I should get them shipped from the US!!