Re: home alarm systems are for sissys

RHC: Gun safety is gun safety regardless of what anyone does for a
living. You would like to think however, that law enforcement agents
would hold to a higher degree of care given their familiarity with
firearms. Usually that is the case, but not always. Where I shoot, we
have what is called a cold range. That means that any firearm behind
the actual firing line must be unloaded until the range master gives
the command to "load and make ready". A lot of police drop in to
practice their shooting, and we have to continually remind them to
unload their service firearms on the range behind the firing
line....maybe familiarity breeds contempt...who knows...

I too would never entertain the severe restrictions the gun haters and
urban paranoids propose. Rather what the NRA proposes makes far more
sense...train people properly and store them safely. Gun safety rules
are simple and easy to understand. Handle them according to the rules,
and there should NEVER be an "accident" where someone shoots
themselves while cleaning their gun....WTF ..!!! A gun is only a tool
but one that can do harm pretty quickly if abused. Here in Canada, we
are just as heavily armed as the US population is per capita; however,
the vast majority are rifles and shotguns, with handguns in the
minority (only a million in the whole country registered..who knows
how many not registered). And I sometimes think I've owned half of the
legal ones at some time or other....:)))

Dunno what the answer is other than to teach people proper safety
procedures. But every firearms accident, or every misuse of a firearm
is just another nail in the coffin of long term legal ownership
(Second Amendment and the NRA not withstanding....)