Re: Break in charge?

> So there is an actual alarm at a location.
> Cops come. catch the guys. There is no
> call from the customer so we dispatch a
> technician to do a courtesy call.  The
> customer says yes you're great, and the
> alarm worked great but was only concerned
> about not being billed for a service call,
> which we hadn't planned to do anyway. So
> much for a customer appreciating good
> customer service...

Don't worry about it.  The customer will tell
all their friends about the break-in and the
arrest.  You can be sure they'll also hear
that your alarm system was involved.  You'll
get the deserved "thank you" in the form of
new business from their friends.

We had one particularly nasty customer in
CT years ago.  When I called her at work
one day to inform her that her alarm had rung
and the police had the perp in custody she
asked, "So, why are you telling me about it?"
in an angry tone.  I said the police wanted her
to come home to sign a complaint so they
could press charges.  She hung up.  :^)

Some years later, after enduring more rudeness
than her account was worth, I told my wife to
send her a cancellation letter instead of a bill.
She called, quite miffed, to ask why and I said
we were cutting back.

Customer: "Oh, are you getting out of monitoring
service?"
Me: "No ma'am, not entirely."
Customer: "What are you eliminating? Farmington
Valley?"
Me: "No ma'am, not entirely."
Customer: "Oh, just Simsbury?" [her town]
Me: "Not entirely, ma'am."
Customer: "Well, just exactly what are you cutting
out?"
Me: "Your side of your block."
For some reason she hung up again.  A few years
later we bought out a smaller dealer and guess who
was one of the clients.  We sent her a cancellation
letter when her term expired.  She didn't call to ask
why.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass