C&K 238 - battery change problem...

Hi all,

I own an old C&K system 238, found in my home when I bought it three
years ago. The keypads have always reported "System trouble - Low
battery level".

Yesterday eventually I bought a new battery (Pb sealed - 12 V - 7 Ah)
to replace the old one. When I opened the central cover, no alarm
sounded; I extracted the old one and installed the new one. I was not
sure of the correct installation, so I try to disconnect the negative
pole of the newly replaced battery, and the alarm sounded (Alarm zone:
"Tamper"). I reconnected the negative, closed the central cover and
the alarm stopped after about 30 sec.

Today the message was still "System trouble - low battery level". The
central was quite warm, and so the battery (i opened once more the
cover to check battery temperature, without any alarm this time).

What is the problem? Is the battery recharging or should I have
charged it before inserting in my alarm? Why the alarm sounded?

Thank you for any help.

Regards,

Andrea