Re: OT - Sarrasota - Strange Days Indeed

> Hey Robert, Is this guy one of your neighbors?

No, but I'd be happy to know him if he was.  He defended his wife and his home against two armed, violent felons.  It will be
interesting to learn how the sheriff's department handles those felons next.  They say they're "investigating" them but the
department made no attempt to intercede on behalf of Coffin while he was being tried -- even though they knew he was innocent.

FTR, I generally respect police officers.  They do a dangerous, often thankless job to make us safe and our communities better
places to live.  However, these two officers committed a criminal assault against Coffin's wife.  They also burglarized his home.
They continued by assaulting John Coffin twice with a taser.

When Coffin heard his wife (who had done nothing wrong at all) screaming in pain inside his garage, he ran to her aid.  He bravely
fought off two attackers.  He and his wife could have easily been killed.

Although the SA claimed the thing could have ended peacefully had he "cooperated," the two off duty officers had already broken
several laws by the time he realized they were inside his home (unlawfully).  His wife was already screaming in pain -- pinned to
the floor with her wrist being bent backward.  What he saw was not two police officers making an arrest.  He saw two people
attacking his wife -- that is all.  What would you have done?  I'd have tried my best to stop them but I doubt I've come out on top.
The difference is Coffin is a very strong man.

BTW, from what people are saying around town, he's become something of a local hero.