Re: What if a burglar breaks in and short out the wire on my keypad

>>> Wouldn't the alarm go off by then?
>>>
>>> In addition to what the others have said; some alarm systems have supervised
>>> keypads.

Most of the responses you get here are from those who install systems
with separate control boxes.  As they have said, it's pretty hard to
defeat the whole system from these types of controllers

There are also stand alone keypads (some of the posters here even sell
them), that are a bit more vunerable to being taken off the wall and
shorted or disabled.  The alarm enable relays or door strike controls
are built into the keypad.  Usually they just control one door, but
this is not necessarily true for all installations.

Most of these have some sort of tamper switch to minimize somebody
trying to take them apart, but this is not necessarily true for all of
them.  The power supply wire, in particular, could be cut or
shorted-out.

Most of the closed-circuit monitoring loops on the newer systems are
protected againsts shorts (mostly) by end-of-line resistors.

Beachcomber